Krystal Jung (Korean name: Jung Soo-jung; Hangul: 정수정; Hanja: 鄭秀晶; born October 24, 1994), better known mononymously as Krystal, is an American-born South Korean idol singer, actress and the younger sister of Girls Generation member Jessica Jung. She debuted in 2009 as the lead vocalist and currently the visual of South Korean girl group f(x) and has further participated in S.M. Entertainment's project group S.M. The Ballad. Aside from group activities, she also participated in various television dramas such as High Kick 3 (2011–12), The Heirs (2013), and My Lovely Girl (2014).
Krystal was born in San Francisco, California, where her family from South Korea settled in the 1980s. During a family trip to South Korea in early 2000, when Krystal was five years old, she and her sister Jessica Jung were spotted by a talent agency SM Entertainment, which earned her a cameo appearance in Shinhwa's "Wedding March" music video. The agency saw potential in both Krystal and her sister and offered them singing and dancing lessons, opting to professionally train them in a singing career. However, the offer was turned down by her parents, reasoning that Krystal was too young. Therefore, her parents at first only allowed her older sister to join the agency, who debuted as a member of girl group Girls' Generation in August 2007. She is fluent in both English and Korean.
In 2002, Krystal began appearing in television commercials. She first appeared in a Lotte commercial with Korean actress Han Ga-in. In 2006, her parents allowed her to join SM Entertainment, and the agency enrolled her in dance classes, including hip h
(2009–13: Career beginnings)=Edit
Krystal debuted as the lead vocalist of the South Korean girl group f(x) in September 2009.
In March 2010, Krystal participated in a series of music videos under the Melody Project, playing a young student who is in love with her music teacher. She released a solo single titled "Melody" for this project.Krystal then became a host for the music show The M-Wave with Thunder from MBLAQ.She also appeared on the variety show Let's Go Dream Team 2, where she broke a high jump record that had been set on the show 10 years before with a height of 1.95 meters.In July, the singer debuted as an actress with a minor role in the long-running sitcom More Charming by the Day.She received the "Newcomer Comedy Award" at the 2010 MBC Entertainment Awards for the role.
In 2011, Krystal recorded a solo song "Because of Me" for SBS's drama Sign,and a duet with Super Junior's Lee-teuk titled "Grumbling".She also participated and won first place in SBS's figure-skating show Kiss & Cry.Kim Yuna praised the singer's performance by saying "...the skills demonstrated were enough for me to believe if someone said Krystal was an ice dancer." At the end of the year, Krystal appeared in High Kick 3, playing the role of Ahn Soo-jung, a superficial and shallow girl who does not have much depth of feelings. She was complimented by actor Ahn Nae-sang for her acting performance in the show.In 2012, she released a duet, "Butterfly", with Jessica for SBS's drama To the Beautiful You, where member Sulli acted as the female lead.
In 2013, Krystal was cast in The Heirs, portraying the role of Lee Bo-na, a spoiled yet good-hearted wealthy high school student. Her character in the show generated positive recognition among the viewers,and was voted as the Best Onscreen Couple along with CN Blue's Kang Min-hyuk at the 2013 DramaFever Awards.
(2014–present: S.M. The Ballad and acting)Edit
In 2014, Krystal joined the ballad group S.M. the Ballad, initially formed by S.M. Entertainment in 2010. On the group's 2nd album Breath, she sang the Japanese version of the title track "Breath" with TVXQ's Changmin. She also sang a duet with EXO's Chen titled "When I Was... When U Were...". Krystal performed her duet with Chen live at the S.M. The Ballad Joint Recital on February 12.In March, she made a cameo appearance in Potato Star 2013QR3. Go Kyung-pyo noted on having the singer's cameo as "a joyful memory to remember".Krystal then released the song "Say Yes" for the movie Make Your Move, a collaboration with Jessica and EXO's then-member Kris.
In June, Krystal along with her sister Jessica, were featured in the reality show, Jessica & Krystal. The show took on a more close-up and personal side of the two sisters, addressing their public "cold" image and sisterly bond.
Later in the year, Krystal had her first leading role in the SBS's drama My Lovely Girl, alongside Rain and L (Kim Myungsoo). She portrayed a character named Se-na, who moves from the countryside to Seoul to pursue a music career and ends up meeting a fateful love during the process. Commenting on Krystal's work attitude, Director Park Hyung-ki stated "Despite taking on a difficult character, she shows her determination to pull it off through her gaze to the point you can see sincerity in Krystal when she’s in front of the camera.She released a solo single "All Of A Sudden" for the drama's OST. At the Baeksang Arts Awards, Krystal won the "Most Popular Actress" award in the television category for her role in the drama.
In 2015, Krystal was cast, along with actor Seo Jun-young in a 10-minute film entitled, Listen To My Song for W Korea's 10th anniversary. Krystal was also cast in an upcoming Chinese movie, titled 'Unexpected Love' along with EXO's Lay.On November 28, a S.M. Entertainment representative announced that Krystal has been cast as the female lead for the Chinese drama 'Graduation Season'.
In late 2016, Krystal made a Cameo Appearance as Min-ji, a flight attendant, in the first episode of 'The Legend of the Blue Sea', reuniting with The Heirs co-star Lee Min-ho.
On February 12, 2017, it was reported that Krystal will release a collabration single titled "I Don't Wanna Love You" with Glen Check's member June One Kim. The song was revealed for the first time on February 14 at the re-opening of a clothing store in Seoul, and then be released online at midnight KST on February 15.In the same month, Krystal was casted in tvN's drama remake of the Korean manga 'Bride of the Water God'.
After moving to South Korea, Krystal attended Korea Kent Foreign School, then graduated from Hanlim Performing Arts High School on February 7, 2013, where she was honored with an achievement award.She is currently attending Sungkyunkwan University, majoring in theatre.
- Name: 크리스탈 정 / Krystal Jung.
- Also known as: 정수정 / Jung Soo Jung.
- Profession: Singer, actress.
- Birthdate: October 24, 1994.
- Birthplace: San Francisco, California, US.
- Height: 168cm (5'6").
- Weight: 48kg (105.822 lbs).
- Star sign: Scorpio.
- Blood type: A.
- Family: Older sister/singer Jessica Jung.
- Talent agency: SM Entertainment.
Facts about Krystal:
• Her favourite colour is Navy.
• Her favorite flower is rose,
• Her favourite food is Korean Beef and Sushi.
• Her favourite ice cream flavours are Earl Grey and Pistachio.
• Her favourite animal is rabbit.
• Her favourite month is October.
• Her favourite weather is all except summer.
• Her favourite time is according to her mood.
• The things she likes lately is a camera.
• Her must bring things are earphone, brush and lipstick.
• Her must have fashion items are shirts and coats.
• She is the only member that doesn't live in the dorm. She live with her parents.
• She likes eye shopping and British accent.
• She managed to reached 1.9m during the Yeoja Dream Team (ep. where Amber and Luna came to cheer for her) but she was not feeling well. after that she was taken to hospital to check her condition.
• She loves taking selca.
• She admires Cristina Aguilera.
• She believed her sister, Jessica, is much prettier than her.
• During their SM Town concert in LA, Krystal signed for all the fans at Sheraton Hotel until the security lady told her to stop.
• Krystal always brings body lotion in her bag.
• She wants people to call her Soo Jung than Krystal.
• She prefers sneakers.
• She has a lot of CFs experience among her bandmates (counting since she was little).
• For her, music is a joy.
• She will pick someone who is uglier than her as her boyfriend, because she doesn’t want her boyfriend to have a lot of girlfans and keep stalking him when they’re dating.
• At first, people thought that she’s SNSD’s Yoona’s sister since they’re look alike.
• Many people said that she looks like SNSD’s Yoona and Yuri instead of her sister Jessica.
• She loves hats.
•On her sitcom 'More Charming By The Day', she often said ‘WOW!’.
• Her iPod is red.
• Most of the books in her house is English books.
• Allergic to apple but she loves it.
• Really likes mango and avocado.
• One of her favorite food is Burrito, it’s a Mexican food.
• She is taller than her sister, SNSD’s Jessica.
• She has a bear keychain with Harvard University written on it.
• She’s an easygoing person.
• She calls Amber just by her name without 'unnie'.
• For her, f(x)’s something that very precious.
• Like her sister, she also hates cucumbers.
• She can speaks English, a bit Japanese and Chinese.
• She wants to learn French.
• Her favorite song from Chu~ album is You’re My Destiny.
• She broke the female high jump record at Dream Team 2 with SHINee’s Minho.
• She used to go to Korea Kent Foreign School before goes to Hanlim High School majoring Entertainment and Arts.
• UKISS’ Dongho is her classmate.
• On 2010 she won the Rookie Comedy Award at MBC Entertainment Awards.
• According to Luna, her Korean pronunciation really sounds like English.
• She loves meat.
• SS501’s Kim Hyun Joong stated that she’s prettier than her sister.
• Doesn’t want a romantic love story, she prefers a normal kind love
• Likes to read English books/magazines
• She will picks puppy as her pet
• Thinks that Audrey Hepburn is close to perfect
• She’s very enthusiastic when she sings
• Krystal once says "people would think Amber is weird when she speaks Thai, because Thai people will think “why is this boy talking like a girl".
• Krystal had been to Bangkok once when she was 6 years old.
• Krystal appeared in SHINee’s “Juliette” MV.
• Krystal's voice sounds more mature than her sister Jessica of SNSD.
•Krystal loves hats, but she hates it when some cool hats are itchy.